Design your own custom pillar candles now
Whether you want scented pillar candles or unscented, large pillar candles or small, layered candles or one color, you can create it here. Palm wax and soy pillar candles will burn longer while producing less soot. Classic paraffin colors are brilliant while the mottled has a rustic look. Choose from 19 sizes, 50 colors & 108 fragrances.
[+] Pillar Candle Information, Instructions, Photo Gallery & More
Below you will find an exhaustive resource regarding our custom pillar candles. You may browse the entire section or click on any of the following links in the table of contents:
If you're looking to design a unique candle that you can't get anywhere else, this is where you want to be. There are literally millions of unique scented pillar candles that you can design by using the form above. You can create just about any standard shaped candle you can imagine - soy pillar candles, small and large pillar candles, single color candles or layered candles.
Whatever size, shape, color or fragrance you choose, you can be assured that our candles are quality candles and that they are made exactly according to your specifications. You design them, and we take care of the rest!
Firstly, we have 19 different shapes and sizes ranging from standard round or cylinder pillars to octagon and square shapes. Pillar diameters range from 2 inches to 6 inches and pillar heights range from 3 inches all the way to 12 inches. Obviously, the smaller candles are less expensive than large pillar candles, but our largest pillars can burn for literally hundred of hours!
We have 4 types of wax, 3 of which can be layered with 5 different colors. First we have the classic paraffin with a glossy finish and brilliant color. Second is our mottled paraffin which features a rustic "snowflake" or "cracked" look. Third is our natural soy wax blend that features an opaque, pastel finish and has the longest burn time of the 4 types of wax - Soy pillar candles are quickly becoming the candle of choice. Lastly, our most unique wax is our pure palm wax which has a crystalized and feathered look that you have to see to believe.
You may choose from 50 colors and over 100 fragrances. You also have the option to layer the colors on each wax except palm wax. If you really like highly scented candles, we give you the option to "super-scent" your candle. However, one must realize that pillars as a whole cannot hold as much fragrance as jar candles. On average a jar candle holds 150% to 200% more fragrance than a pillar. So if your main concern is getting the most heavily scented candle you can possibly get, you might want to look into our super-scented jar candles which hold 12% to 14% fragrance.
Whatever candle you decide to design, it will be your design. Our scented pillar candles burn cleanly and have long burn times when they're burned properly. When you buy a soy pillar candle, paraffin candles or palm wax candles, you will receive printed instructions with your order.
Concerned about shipping costs? We are completely transparent about our shipping. Check out the flat rate shipping section on the info page. We charge the same rate no matter where you live in the continental United States.
Step One: In the first step, you will choose the size and shape of your candle. There are 19 different pillar shapes and sizes available. Sizes range from very small - about twice the size of a votive candle - to pillar candles that weigh over 6 lbs. When you select a size/shape, a graphic representation of the pillar will appear on the right. This is just so you can compare the dimensions of each shape. Keep in mind, certain sizes have certain restrictions. For instance, 2 inch diameter candles cannot be layered. If you pick a pillar with restrictions, a red note will appear to the right of your selection.
Step Two: Here you choose from one of four types of wax - soy wax, palm wax, mottled paraffin and classic paraffin. You can click on the picture to bring up a larger image. When you check a radio button for a type of wax, a brief description of that wax will appear below. Keep in mind, palm wax can only be layered in jar candles. Take note that each wax has it's own burning properties. Soy pillar candles burn the longest whereas mottled pillars release fragrance more quickly, but also produce more soot. More information of various pillar candle waxes can be found near the bottom of this page under "Complete pillar candle infromation."
Step Three: In this step you can get really creative. You can either click the dropdown menu and select one color, or you can click the "add layers" button below the dropdown and begin designing layered candles. The first layer is the top of your candle and the last layer you choose will be the bottom of your pillar. The color or colors of your candle will be represented visually to the right.
Keep in mind that the color on your screen may not look EXACTLY like the color that will appear on your candle. Everyone's computer monitor displays color a bit differently. Colors can vary slightly depending on the type of wax you choose as well as the type and amount of fragrance.
Step Four: If you want to create scented pillar candles, here is where you will choose your fragrance. Hover over each fragrance to read a pop-up descriptions Check the radio button to the left of the fragrance to select one. If you want a richly scented pillar, you also have the option of super-scenting your candle. A super-scented pillar candle holds approximately 150% more fragrance then a regularly scented pillar. Keep in mind, that as a rule, jar candles hold much more fragrance then a pillar candle. If you want the maximum amount of scent possible, you may want to check out our scented jar candles.
Step Five: Lastly, you will choose the quantity of candles you want to order. Make sure to look at the quantity discount table as this is the most important part of your order when it comes to saving money. For instance, if you buy 20 candles with 3 to 5 layers (say for a wedding, or perhaps you're just stocking up), you will receive a 40% discount on those candles!
The pictures below are actual candles that some our customers have created on the website. If you want to get some ideas, check out how certain colors might look on various candles or just admire to photos, click on the thumbnails below to see full-size pictures.
Please note that the following chart is only meant to estimate the approximate maximum burn times of each pillar candle wax assuming the candle is burned properly. Many conditions affect the burning time including length of wick, type of wax, amount fragrance, type of fragrance, ambient temperature, breeze, humidity and so on.
- Before lighting your pillar candle, make sure that the wick is trimmed to a quater inch or less. Ideal wick lengths for each wax are listed below. The longer the wick, the larger the flame. So if the flame is too big and begins to produce soot, trim it. If the flame is too small, pour some wax out of the candle and don't trim it as short next time.
- Soy Wax: Quarter Inch. Low wick maintenence. Regular trimming optional.
- Palm Wax: Eighth Inch. Regular wick maintenence. Regular trimming recommended.
- Mottled Paraffin: Eighth Inch. High wick maintenence. Regular trimming required.
- Classic Paraffin: Quarter Inch. Low wick maintenence. Regular trimming required.
- Two inch diameter: 2 hours (90 minutes for soy wax)
- Three inch diameter: 3 hours
- Four inch diameter: 4 hours
- Six inch diameter (3 wick): 4 hours
Soy Pillar Candle Notes
- Once a soy pillar candle begins to leak, it is difficult to stop the process. You only have to worry about this with the 2 inch diameter pillar. To avoid leakage, don't burn for more than 90 minutes. If leaking occurs, extinguish the candle and burn in very short intervals until the wax pool reaches below the point where the leaking occured.
Palm Wax Pillar Notes
- Similar to soy wax, it is difficult to stop the leaking of a palm wax pillar candle once it begins. This only applies to 2 inch diameter palm wax pillar candles. Burn for 90 minutes per session to avoid leakage. If leaking occurs, blow out the candle and burn in short intervals until the wax pool has reached below the original spot the candle started leaking.
Mottled Paraffin Pillar Notes
- Once your candle has been burned, trim the wick all the way down so that the entire burned portion of the wick is removed and only the small unburned portion that is protruding out of the shrunken wax pool remains.
- It is easy to get a very large flame with mottled pillars. If the flame is producing too much soot, blow out the candle, trim the wick again and light immediately.
- When the candle begins to burn down, it may be necessary to "hug" the top of the candle to prevent the wax from bulging out. If left unchecked, large portions of wax could melt off the candle. Only hug the candle right after it is extinguished while the wax is still warm. Be very gentle and be careful not to spill the wax.
Classic Paraffin Pillar Notes
- Like mottled paraffin, it may be necessary to "hug" the top of the candle to keep the wax from bulging out and fall away from the candle. However, this should occur much less with classic paraffin since this type of wax contains additives that make the wax much harder.
- Never leave pillar candles burning unattended.
- When burning a pillar candle, either place on a non-flammable surface or place on a candle holder. Never burn pillar candles on or near a flammable object.
- Never leave any flammable material in the wax pool (the melted wax) such as wick trimmings. This is not only dangerous, but decreases the quality of the burn.
- Keep burning candles away from children or pets.
- Don't burn candles for much more than the recommended time. This is more of a suggestion than a rule, but be aware that burning a 2 inch diameter candle for six hours is dangerous.
- Be especially careful when burning pillar candles as they can easily tip over. Take whatever steps are necessary to prevent this from happening.
- Always stop burning your pillar when there is about a half inch of wax remaining. Burning pillar candles all the way to the bottom is very dangerous.